Friday, December 12, 2008

Met Museum Twitter

I got a direct message from the Met Museum today on Twitter. With my name in it, so I choose to believe it wasn't a canned generic response.

One of the best. moments. of. my. life.

True story:

When my parents took me to NYC for my college graduation (because there are art museums there and I was an art history major) the Met was like heaven for me. Blissful. It didn't even matter that my feet were killing me. I was going to see that entire museum no matter how long it took.

Later that night, around 7:30 p.m., my mother asks me how I liked the pop art exhibit with all the Andy Warhol's because she knows I am an Andy Warhol lover. "What?" I ask. I'd MISSED IT! So I look at my husband all distraught and despite how badly our feet were hurting at that point he said, "Do you want to go back while we still have our passes (note: still have them to this day!)?" Me, sheepishly: "Yes."

So we go and hop on the Subway, but because we're stupid tourists we hop on the wrong one! We get off on the right street, but on the OTHER SIDE of Central Park. I asked a cop where we were and how to get to the Met. He couldn't help me. (Seriously?! You're a cop! You should know the city!) So we ask another passerby and she told us that it was on the other side of the park (and she looked genuinely sad for us). It's 8:15 p.m. now. We're at least 5 blocks from Central Park and the museum is on the other side. So we start running and speed walking thinking, "It's just a park, no big deal."

We ran into a lake.

So we run around the lake and finally reach the museum at 8:35 p.m., dash in with our cool little Met button passes and get directions to Andy Warhol. I saw the Andy Warhols that I had missed (now, I had seen others earlier in the day, but I missed this one very important room).

Had to stop at a drug store on the way back to the subway for band-aids because I was in flip flops and now had massive blisters.

Completely worth it.

I would give anything to live in New York City.

UPDATE: Then the Met twittered this post to their followers! OH MY GOSH!!

11 comments:

visualinfluenceblog.com said...

I remember the first time I saw a Warhol in person---it was amazing :) Great story and blog!

Pfeiffer Photos said...

Fun story but oh, your poor feet. I saw some Warhols at the PAM (here in Portland, OR) last year and they were worth the trip. Art History is my major as well!

Little Dickens Designs said...

That is a very cute story!

sleeping poet said...

What a great story!

Thank for commenting on my blog. I do love Magritte, he is by far my fave artist. I consider him a painter, poet, philosopher... He certainly deserves far more recognition than he gets!

:)

It's nice to meet an art history major. I did my B.A. and M.A. in literature, but I always wrote papers about the way painting and poetry relate. My favorite pretentious academic word is "ekphrasis". :)

Piggy said...

Sounds like an adventure! I love love NY.. Went to the Met when I was there too! although I think I might have miss the Warhol exhibition *sulk* But I can totally understand your sore feet.. I had them too when I was in NY but it is such a great city would love to be back! Remember to post some pictures of your holidays!

TexNan said...

What a wonderful memory! I was only in NYC once, overnight, and had a total of...oh, I think $.25 in my pocket. Everything I needed was already paid for: room, food, flight home. But oh, I regret everything I missed, expecially when I hear a story like yours.

sleeping poet said...

PS. I'm so glad you like my shop!

Kala Pohl Studio said...

I remember my trip to the Met Museum a couple of years ago, what a wonderful treat that was:):) I would have done the same thing:)

memoriesforlifescrapbooks said...

That's really cool that they contacted you :) It sounds like you really enjoyed your trip to the Met!

kellyvanhook said...

oh, how I would love to live in New York as well!! Love your story and your determination! I haven't seen Warhol in person yet, but we have his exhibit going on now at the museum in Little Rock and I've got to go!!!

bklynharuspex said...

dear artsafire, the Metropolitan Museum is vast but it is still staffed by actual human beings (I am one of them, though I had nothing to do with your Twitter reply), and we appreciate our visitors' enthusiasm. Come back and see us again sometime -- there's always something different.