Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Finer Points of Vin Diesel's Driving Habits

Last night my husband and I were driving home from doing laundry (we know how to party on Mardi Gras!) and going to dinner with my grandparents (Chinese food--yum) and we saw someone driving with really weird posture. They were seated really low in their seat, slouching, with one arm crossed across their chest holding the opposite top side of the steering wheel (major over-correction hazard should he get startled by something). And he was in an Accord--not exactly a street racer.

Jeremy: "I hate people who drive like that. Kind of like he's trying to be Vin Diesel in Fast and the Furious."

Sara: "Yup, that's when driving like that became popular."

Jeremy: "That's not even how real racers hold the wheel. They either have both hands on it like this *demonstration*, or one hand on the bottom of the wheel to avoid over-correction."

Sara: "Yeah, I know." (And yes, I do know despite being a middle-class Mormon girl, because even before I married Jeremy and Top Gear became my favorite show I was still obsessed with Vin Diesel, The Fast and the Furious, and the cars in that movie.)

...

Sara: "Actually, Vin Diesel drove with both hands at 10 and 2 when he was racing in the movie, and he didn't cross his arm that far across his chest when he was driving one handed. He looked much more relaxed and less posed than most people who try to be "Vin Diesel" while driving.

Jeremy: "That's true."

Sara: "I can't believe I'm discussing the finer points of Vin Diesel's driving on Fast and the Furious."

Jeremy: "Why?"

Sara: "I mean, I can't believe I've seen it enough to be able to discuss his hand position on the steering wheel. I have a serious obsession with that movie."

*Sara proceeds to unabashedly Twitter about this conversation through a text*

Sara: "I can't wait for the new Fast and Furious movie to come out. Vin Diesel and Paul Walker on the same screen again. Score for that."

On an unrelated note: Nothing says "awesome" like a levitating train from Las Vegas to Disneyland.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sara: "I can't wait for the new Fast and Furious movie to come out. Vin Diesel and Paul Walker on the same screen again. Score for that."

Laura: "I could not agree with you more."

;)

xxxevilgrinxxx said...

"Sara: "I mean, I can't believe I've seen it enough to be able to discuss his hand position on the steering wheel. I have a serious obsession with that movie.""

Obsession with the Fast and the Furious isn't a bad thing at all! Just think of what it's done for your driving :)

If you REALLY want to feed that obsession, come join us on:
http://www.vindiesel.hu/phpBB3/index.php