Thursday, April 16, 2009

Art Show: I Need Your Opinions!

Just realized my last post was post #100. At least it had a funny picture in it. I giggle every time I see it. That giant rubber duck is the stuff children's nightmares are made of, but I think it's hilarious.

Anyway. I found out yesterday about a local art show (!! They're never local!) coming up in June and the deadline is Monday at midnight for applications. Which means I can either spend my weekend scrambling to make a temporary (because there's no way gridwalls will make it to me by Monday through snail mail) booth for the required booth photo, or I can wait until next year. That's a long time to wait...so I think I'll try my hand at scrambling to make a booth. I plan on entering both my grandfather and I (he's too sick to go--with his Multiple Sclerosis it's much too hot for him to stay outside all day in the middle of the summer--but two artists can share a booth as long as the artist or the artist's representative is there, and since I'm the artist for me, and I'm my grandfather's representative, it'd work out just fine) and so Jeremy and I are going up to my grandparents' house on Saturday to: 1) buy primed MDF for the walls (1 x 3 x 6 for $2.42--perfect!) from Lowe's because my grandpa has a truck and 2) have my grandpa help me build it. He's totally awesome with carpentry and coming up with useful and practical ideas for building things. I'm thinking 9 x 9 (since the booths at the festival are 10 x 10 this will appear to be about the same size in the photos) with the panels connected by hinges. Or duct tape (on the outside, of course). Either one.

Duct tape holds anything together, especially if it's only for a short period of time


I'll post pictures when it's done.

The thing is, I'm really nervous. Putting up my art on my Etsy shop was really nerve-wracking because I'd never really shown it to anyone besides family and people who came over to my house and would inevitably see it on my walls. And they all loved it and I haven't received one negative comment regarding my art since I brought it out into the world for all to see, but I'm still really nervous. I'm positive my grandfather will be accepted. He's always accepted. And then he wins prizes. But I've never done this before for myself. But I want to find out whether I have what it takes to pass a juried selection process for future art shows. If I do, I'm totally applying for next year's Edina Art Festival in Minnesota. For one, it's on my favorite street in the entire world. France Avenue. And two, it's an excuse to go home and visit my family!

Here's where I need your opinions. Could you please visit my Etsy shop and give me opinions on which five works you think I should submit for the juried selection process? I have to submit four works and one booth photo. I need help deciding. If you could just leave a comment with the titles of 2 or 3 that you think would be winners (figuratively, there are no prizes at the art festival), I would REALLY appreciate it!




Voting so far:
Untitled No. 1 - 3
Pointillism Flowers - 2
Color Theory - 2
Berry Tree - 3
Winter Blossoms - 4
Spring Branch - 7
Abstract Circles - 1
Bubbles - 3
Windswept Dandelion - 1
Space - 1
Complementary Crashes - 1
Dragonflies - 2
Ocean Tide - 3

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I really like color theory, bubbles, ocean tide, and untitled no 1. Apparently I'm drawn to your abstract/color only paintings. Would it be better to show off your versatility and have some variety in your selection? I don't know how there things work.

Sara said...

I don't know either! So far I have 2 votes for Ocean Tide, 2 for the tree paintings, 1 for dragonflies, 1 for ACEOs (which I will be taking and selling on the table if I get accepted), 1 for my pointillism flowers, 1 for color theory, 1 for bubbles, and 1 for untitled no. 1. Apparently I should just try and take everything! Haha!

J.L. said...

Good artwork!! I like it, will follow you on Tw.

Creative Coquette said...

Spring Branch - 12 x 48 - Four canvas set

Ocean Tide - 20 x 40 - ready to hang

Space - 24 x 60, ready to hang

Windswept Dandelion - 10 x 20

are just a few of my favorites. I don't think you need to worry. You are very talented. Show a sampling for the entry and take them all to sell. Another thing to keep in mind is what kind of crowd this art show attracts.

Good luck!!!

xoxo

Laura said...

Berry tree and untitled #1 are two of my favorites. Good Luck!!