Sunday, April 19, 2009

New Painting!

First off, I've noticed I've been having a real love affair with blue paintings lately. I bought some gorgeous blue paints and i can't stop using them. I think I'll branch out into other colors sometime soon. My shop and my personal art collection are both woefully devoid of any reds, oranges, and yellows.

Moving on.

I actually stumbled across the technique I used to paint this painting several years back during a college art class. I painted a three panel final project using this technique. And then I painted over it two years later when I thought I was tired of it. I don't regret the painting I got out of painting over that piece (wonderful pre-textured surface for what I wanted), but I do regret losing the original. This new piece has no similarities in color, but it does follow the basic scheme of what I did years ago.

Untitled No. 3 - 24" x 24" x 1 3/8"


Only this time I think it's cooler.

Painted using acrylics on a 24" x 24" x 1 3/8" stretch canvas. There are roughly ten layers of paint (3 base layers, each manipulated to enhance texture and then allowed to dry, and roughly 6-8 layers of the final surface painting), giving the canvas remarkable amounts of texture to both the eye and the touch. Paint has been allowed to drip down the sides of the canvas, giving the painting a raw, yet finished feeling since the sides have been painted black so there is no need to frame it unless you want to.

Painting is signed, titled and dated by me on the back of the canvas so as not to delineate a "top" or "bottom." It is completely up to you. I painted it so the "top" for me started with the white, but that's just my preference--it can be hung from all four sides. You could even hang it from one of it's corners if you wanted to.

Staging image is not to scale

3 comments:

Judy said...

I love the colors and textures. It reminds me of the ocean when you are under the water looking up through a wave.

Amanda said...

I love it. Love the circles. Very pretty.

Kristin said...

Gorgeous! Totally evokes ocean imagery!