Saturday, April 11, 2009

Recipe: Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding

Tomorrow I'm in charge of dessert for our Easter family dinner and I'm making Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding. It's to die for. In case anyone wants to try it (you should!) here's the recipe. I got it from the book Drop Dead Gorgeous by Linda Howard (I'm a sucker for murder mystery/romance novels):



KRISPY KREME DOUGHNUT BREAD PUDDING

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Ingredients:
- 2 dozen Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts, torn into little chunks. (You can also use 2 dozen glazed crullers if you want a heavier texture.)
- 3 eggs, beaten.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk.
- Vanilla flavoring to taste (I use 1 tsp).
- 1/2 stick melted butter.
- Cinnamon to taste. Takes more than you think. Just add until you think it tastes right.
- Can of fruit cocktail OR milk

Instructions:
Combine the eggs, condensed milk, vanilla, melted butter, and cinnamon (like I said, add until you like the taste).

Pour over doughnut chunks and stir (I use my Kitchen Aid. This can be hard on your arms and shoulders.)

At this point it's going to look really dry so you can either add a can of fruit cocktail like I do (it really cuts the sweetness) or, if that freaks you out, add milk while stirring until you have a lumpy cake batter consistency.

You don't need milk if you add the fruit cocktail--it's the perfect amount of liquid.

Now you can add 1 cup of chopped pecans if you'd like. Or not. Depends on your preference. It's great both ways. The pecans again cut down on the sweetness.

Now you can add 1 tsp of nutmeg if you want to. I've found I prefer it without.

Pour this into a 13 x 9 glass pan and cook for 30 minutes. Test with a toothpick to see if it's done. If not, give it a couple more minutes.

Take it out and let it cool. You can eat it this way or you can add a glaze.

SIMPLE SUGAR GLAZE - this is the glaze I use

Ingredients:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk or water

Instructions:
Mix together and beat until it becomes smooth and pourable. Pour over bread pudding. You can make more if you need to.

BUTTERMILK GLAZE

Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp soda
- 1 1/2 tsps cornstarch
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla

Instructions:
Combine first five ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Add the vanilla. Pour over pudding.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Could you make a little extra and bring it to my house? Yum, Yum!

marysgranddaughter said...

Yum I say as my arteries start clogging from just reading the recipe. Brings back memories of late night stops at krispy kreme after hitting the clubs in Tampa. Sounds delicious!

Seaside and Lollipops said...

Wow, this does look good. I just have one question. How do you keep from eating the Krispy Kremes before you make the pudding. When I buy Krispy Kremes they are gone before I pull in the drive way. I guess I'll have to buy an extra dozen. Thanks for the recipe.