Tuesday, March 2, 2010

New Paintings, New Techniques

I've been working on some paintings this week that are technically completely different from my other paintings. Usually I incorporate texture into the majority of my paintings through the use of some acrylic mediums, but the paintings I'm working on now are completely made using a light molding paste that has been tinted with color. The hard part is what I've got to do now:

SAND SAND SAND!!!


There are 7 layers of molding paste there, all in varying shades of blue (and white, with a layer of asparagus-colored green thrown in for an occasional burst of color). Now I need to sand back the layers to show parts of all 7 layers on the canvas at random. The layers alternate between a layer of a flat color and a layer of designs followed by another layer of a flat color, etc... a la this picture:

Same concept, same technique, but this one will be completely black, white, and grey


Unfortunately, once it was all dry today and ready to sand, I discovered that my electric palm sander is not up to the task. So during my lunch break tomorrow I've gotta go to Lowe's and pick up a higher powered circular sander and not skimp on it this time--Hitachi here I come. Once I get it done I'll post a finished picture. It's going to be gorgeous!

I've also got a few ideas that I've discussed with the art director for an upcoming photo shoot I'm doing for a magazine, but I'm not releasing those details yet. You'll have to stick around for the details of those paintings!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

This looks so FUN! I am playing around with spackling! :) I saw you post your blog on the etsy forums tonight... so glad you did!
~Jennifer
www.studiojru.com

Judy said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, it sounds so interesting. Congrats on the magazine shoot!