Friday, March 12, 2010

What makes me an artist?

Sometimes I have a down moment and think I'm not a real artist because I'm not saying anything with my paintings like all the great artists throughout history. I spent my entire college career studying art history and what all the great painters said and did with their artwork. Politics, history, religion, paganism, science, etc...it was all deeply involved with the art that I studied. And so I often think, "I'm not saying anything with my art...it's just pretty and it just makes me happy."

And then I think, "Of course. It makes me happy, and that's all that matters."

So who cares whether I'm saying something? I'm adding happiness to the world one painting at a time. As long as my art speaks to someone or evokes an emotion in someone, even if it's just me, then I'm okay with that.

But my recent painting actually does say something. SAVE FOR RETIREMENT! :) I work in the retirement financial planning industry during the day, so I "get it"--"it" being the importance of saving for your retirement. And I see a lot of people who don't get it. So, to go with the magazine article (on my retirement plans), I was asked to work on paintings have to do with cash. And here it is:

"Retirement Red Zone" - Hands down, coolest and funnest painting I've ever done!


Photo shoot is on Monday evening. I need to lose 50 lbs by then. Wish me luck.

1 comment: