Saturday, June 15, 2013

Updated my boring bench cover

Right before we moved into our new home in February, Home Depot had a fantastic sale on their Home Decorators Collection Brexley entryway bench. We picked it up for only $49. A complete steal, despite the dreadfully boring taupe/brown seat cushion cover. But that's an easy fix! Being an abysmal seamstress, I just kind of made it up as I went, but it worked out well enough.

First up, buy some fabric. I bought 2 yards of heavy duck cloth.

Original Bench

This was me cutting off the selvage edge of my new fabric. I think that was probably stupid...I wouldn't do that if I were you.

I laid down the cushion on the fabric and cut where I thought I should. The fabric was the perfect width to just fold in half, making my job so much easier. Ta da!

First, fold the seam allowance and iron it. It makes sewing it all together so much easier. Then make a pretty corner (whatever you think is pretty will work!) and put some pins in it to keep it in place.

Make sure it closes enough to allow for the seam allowance. Then pin seam, turn inside out, sew, and repeat on the other side!

So far you've got two seams. Easy so far, no matter your sewing level.

I completely forgot to take pictures of the back where it closes. I simply folded and ironed the hem and hemmed around the entire opening. Then sew velcro along the length and close it up! I used blue velcro to match the fabric. Easy peasy! 

Finished product! We love it! I'm going to make a couple more so I can switch it out for different looks. I'd love a bold floral in the entryway here, too.

I know this tutorial is somewhat lacking--I'm really bad at explaining sewing endeavors. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my limited ability. :) 








Friday, June 14, 2013

Repainted Goodwill Mirror

It's been a big week for projects in this house. After finishing the end tables from the previous post, I found a great mirror at Goodwill for $3.99. Huge and heavy, with a brown wood frame that had seen better days. I'd been wanting to create a block corner for Scarlet with a mirror to help with three dimensional block play, like I'd seen on An Everyday Story's blog. I used the same Lagoon paint I used for the drawers on the end tables to repaint the mirror frame so it'd match the rest of the room, and still be bright enough to encourage creativity and provide a bright play atmosphere.

It was really simple--just cover the mirror with newspaper, and spray paint the frame. I did three coats (prime it first and you won't need to do that many, but I was out of primer and didn't want to make a trip to the store), followed by two coats of Hard Coat Mod Podge.

I'd like to get a sturdier surface for her block play, but she really loves this play mat so it's a good option for now. She loves it and it matches her new mirror.



Thursday, June 13, 2013

70s Endtables: Beat Up to New & Chic

Recently I found some end tables at a neighbor's rummage sale (during our designated town-wide rummage sale weekend--yup, those exist!) and they had some great bones. They were already in pretty good shape, just dated and a little scratched up from 30 or so years of use, but in remarkably good condition considering their age. So I picked them up at $4 a piece and they've been sitting in my garage waiting for me to finish them for the last month.

Our family room needed a finishing touch and I figured these end tables were just what was needed, so my husband and I went and pick up our supplies. In addition to some Rustoleum primer and some lace I'd picked up at a Joann's store closing sale, I used these colors--Dark Walnut, Lagoon, and Lacquer (useless--don't use it).

 

The tables before:

 




I covered the drawer fronts in lace using basic mod podge (glossy formula because I already had it in my art supplies):


 Primed it all with Rustoleum gray spray primer:


Painted the drawers Lagoon--inside and out--makes the inside of the drawer more fun. And painted the tables with the Dark Walnut. Two coats of each. 


Painted the handles with some Rustoleum Oil-Rubbed Bronze that I had on hand.


After all of this dried, I applied the lacquer. And then applied more lacquer. And then went and bought more lacquer and applied more lacquer. And it was blotchy and uneven and left behind a weird texture. So I gave up on that and finished it with Mod Podge Hard Coat--a hard, durable satin-finish mod podge for furniture. And ta-da! The finished product!


 


Really easy project for really big impact and great results! It finishes the room off nicely. Next I'll be re-upholstering this chair to go opposite the LoveSac in this room to create another "grown up" seating space. ;)


Linked up to blog party at Home Stories A to Z! Check them out for more cool DIY!