Saturday, June 15, 2013

Updated my boring bench cover

Right before we moved into our new home in February, Home Depot had a fantastic sale on their Home Decorators Collection Brexley entryway bench. We picked it up for only $49. A complete steal, despite the dreadfully boring taupe/brown seat cushion cover. But that's an easy fix! Being an abysmal seamstress, I just kind of made it up as I went, but it worked out well enough.

First up, buy some fabric. I bought 2 yards of heavy duck cloth.

Original Bench

This was me cutting off the selvage edge of my new fabric. I think that was probably stupid...I wouldn't do that if I were you.

I laid down the cushion on the fabric and cut where I thought I should. The fabric was the perfect width to just fold in half, making my job so much easier. Ta da!

First, fold the seam allowance and iron it. It makes sewing it all together so much easier. Then make a pretty corner (whatever you think is pretty will work!) and put some pins in it to keep it in place.

Make sure it closes enough to allow for the seam allowance. Then pin seam, turn inside out, sew, and repeat on the other side!

So far you've got two seams. Easy so far, no matter your sewing level.

I completely forgot to take pictures of the back where it closes. I simply folded and ironed the hem and hemmed around the entire opening. Then sew velcro along the length and close it up! I used blue velcro to match the fabric. Easy peasy! 

Finished product! We love it! I'm going to make a couple more so I can switch it out for different looks. I'd love a bold floral in the entryway here, too.

I know this tutorial is somewhat lacking--I'm really bad at explaining sewing endeavors. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my limited ability. :) 








1 comment:

Carmen said...

Very classy looking! Love the material. Good job, Sara. Your instructions are clear enough.